Pages

Saturday, October 2, 2010

A Borrower Of Books- The School Of Essential Ingredients

As a constant reader, I don't know how I married somebody who doesn't read.  Oh, he can hunt for a car for HOURS on Craigslist but I don't think I've ever seen him crack a book besides the bible.  In fact, in high school, I remember watching Grapes Of Wrath together and then I had to tell him what the movie left out!


So since he doesn't have a love of books, he cannot comprehend what my fascination is with the written word.  Which means...that he doesn't see a need for purchasing books when we live within walking distance of a library!  This is why I'll always be a "Borrower Of Books" instead of an owner - with the exception of gifts from friends or paperback novels I can sneak out of garage sales.  Thankfully we live in an area with a great library, and there are amazing authors that live around us.

My first book that I'm highlighting is The School Of Essential Ingredients by Seattle author Erica Bauermeister.  I mentioned this awhile back on our Facebook Page and it still keeps popping up in my head.  YES- for everyday reading I DO read the historical romances (it's an addiction) but I was drawn to the title and the idea of it being about a cooking class which is something I've always wanted to do.


This book tells the story of each person that is attending the class.  The main character throughout is Lillian that owns the restaurant (and is the teacher).  I just love her style of cooking!  She doesn't use recipes but focused on how you FELT the food should be.  In fact, her cooking was a key role in her later years growing up.  The way she talks, it makes me feel like I would have NO problem cooking a live crab!!!!!  Which, considering I do NOT touch raw meat, is a big deal!


Throughout the whole thing, though, Lillian remains a mystery so the rest of the characters end up being the meat of the story.  I found something to relate to with each of them ...which I don't want to say in case I give anything away!  There is a new mom, somebody who has suffered a loss, an Italian adjusting to being in America, an older couple, and a young girl trying to figure out who she is.


I think this would be a great book for any book club.  It's not very long (just 272 pages) and there is so many themes that you can talk about (the book link has a page for book clubs).  Plus, who doesn't like a book about food??????????? 











No comments:

Post a Comment